Beauty and the Bayou has moved. Head over to www.BeautyandtheBayou.com -- The new and improved website!

Monday, July 4, 2011

Honestly, I Don't Think Michael Jackson Is That Great


I know everyone is going to hate me for this but it's my opinion so here goes... Michael Jackson is not that great! I mean sure, he was a good dancer and his music was catchy but I certainly wouldn't call myself a fan. Quite frankly before his sudden death most people were ridiculing him and only became "Bandwagon Fans" as a result of his unexpected passing. No disrespect to the dead, it's just that I'm not going to pretend to be someone's biggest fan just because he died. I wasn't an MJ fan when he was alive and him being dead will not change that.
It also annoys me that the majority of the black community idolizes him. I feel like Michael Jackson did everything in his power and within the means of a cosmetic surgeon to deny any ounce of black in him. I personally take that as a slap in the face. If any other black person were to go and bleach his skin and whittle off chunks of cartilage from their nose in an effort to achieve an appearance more consistent with the Western standard of beauty they would surely be ostracized from the rest of the Black community.
Take Reggae/ Dancehall artist, Vybz Kartel for instance. There is a huge controversy concerning his skin bleaching treatments known as "cake soap." So many people are criticizing him and accusing him of self-hate. How is it that Michael Jackson can get away with significantly lightening his skin without having to face the wrath of the Black community? I know, I know... He has vitiligo. Okay so do 65 million other people in the world. I don't see them running to cosmetic procedures to remedy the situation. If you're going to use the "he's in the public eye all the time" excuse, save it. If Michael Jackson had so many true fans out there, they wouldn't judge him because of a disease he had no control over.
Therefore, I've drawn the conclusion that one of two things is going on. Either all those MJ fans out there are judgemental and shallow, or our buddy MJ was just seeking out an excuse to escape the plague of dark skin.
You decide.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Twitter Conversion Stats

Total Pageviews

About Me

My Photo
New York, New York, United States
These are the musings of a starving college student... Young, broke and fabulous! Complete with rants, raves, reviews... whatever!