Beauty and the Bayou has moved. Head over to www.BeautyandtheBayou.com -- The new and improved website!

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Be a Recessionista!

Everyone is feeling the effects of the recession. As a result people have to make a couple of budget cuts. But that doesn't mean you can't still look good in hard times. Here are a couple ways to stay stylish on a budget.



Visit your local Plato's Closet. Plato's Closet is a second hand clothing store that specializes in designer clothing. Here's how they work: People come in and sell their designer clothing to Plato's closet. They stock the store with the clothes that were sold to them. So you, the customer, get the best deal possible. I've had personal experience with Plato's closet and I absolutely love them! Every now and then they have a sale where you stuff as many items as you can in a shopping bag and you pay 10 dollars for whatever you can fit in the bag. I got $116 dollars worth of clothes for $10!! Visit http://www.platoscloset.com/ to find a store near you.



Search for sample sales. This mainly applies for people in the new york city area. Designers hold sample sales toget rid of their excess inventory to make room for the new stock. This is a wonderful opportunity to find a deal. Here's the catch, you have to find out about them. Sample sales are very exclusive. Many times they have someone standing at the door with a guest list. As long as you look the part and look like you know what you're doing they shouldn't bother you. One more thing... All sales are final. If there is a stain or a missing button on a garment you cannot return it. There's one more catch. There usually aren't any dressing rooms where the sample sales are being held so it would be wise of you to wear a leotard under your clothes so you can try on garments in the showroom.

Visit Polyvore.com!! Polyvore is an amazing website where you can put together outfuts and view outfits other people put together. What I love about Polyvore is the fact that I can plan out an entire outfit and print it out and use it as a shopping list. That saves money becasue it cuts down on impulse buys. So head on to polyvore and start making some sets I promise you won't regret it. Oh and by the way... Polyvore is highly addictive. I find myself up at 3 AM making sets for no apparent reason. You can't say I didn't warn you.

Check the Sunday newspaper for coupons on drugstore cosmetics. You can get great deals on make up. They often have buy one get one half off sales on great brands like CoverGirl and Maybelline. Happy shopping and I hope this helped you!

X0X0,

-Jane

2 comments :

  1. That's a new word ! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol I know!!
    but I have to be honest, I didn't come up with it myself... I think I actually heard it on the style channel.

    ReplyDelete

Twitter Conversion Stats

Total Pageviews

About Me

My Photo
New York, New York, United States
These are the musings of a starving college student... Young, broke and fabulous! Complete with rants, raves, reviews... whatever!